Republicans love to lie. That's how they got away with stealing the Presidency - and then robbing America blind for their greedy corporate paymasters like Enron and Halliburton.
Remember Bush's recount chairman James Baker declaring that "the vote in Florida has been counted and then recounted"? That was a lie. 175,000 votes were never counted even once, thanks to the partisan Republican majority on the Supreme Court. In addition, 19 Republican counties never did the mandatory machine recount. Yet to this day, Katherine Harris continues to lie by saying: "The votes were counted and recounted and recounted again."
Remember Bush saying Enron's Ken Lay "was a supporter of [Texas Democratic Gov.] Ann Richards in my run [against her] in 1994... And that's when I first got to know Ken." That was a double lie. Lay supported Bush in 1994 - perhaps as a return favor for Bush's 1988 call to Argentina's Interior Minister Rodolfo Terragno, to lobby for an Enron contract.
Remember when George Bush I said, "Read my lips - no new taxes"? He was lying. And Richard Nixon lied when he said, "I am not a crook."
But the Biggest Lie of all time was Bush's repeated claim that Iraq had enough nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons to justify a US-led invasion and conquest. For example, on March 17, 2003 Bush addressed the nation:
"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."
At Democrats.com we are frequently asked about Republicans lies that are spread via e-mail. As you might expect, these e-mails are always anonymous and unsourced, which is always the hallmark of lie. (At Democrats.com, we proudly provide links to everything.)
No doubt you have received some of these Internet lies. This page lists the most widely-circulated Republican e-mail lies.
If you receive one of these lies, you can strike an important blow for the truth! Press "reply to all" in your e-mail program. Then highlight the appropriate summary below and copy/paste it into your e-mail reply. Press send - and stop a Republican lie in its tracks!
Our reference site is www.snopes.com, which does an outstanding job of debunking internet rumors, hoaxes, and lies.
- President Clinton did nothing to stop terrorism
- Oliver North was stopped from assassinating Osama Bin Laden
- Hillary Clinton refused to meet with Gold Star Mothers
- 9-11 Terrorist Mohammed Atta was released by Israel under pressure from the US
- Bill Clinton took lots of money from Enron
- Democrats are destroying Social Security
1. Claim: The Clinton administration failed to track down the perpetrators of several terrorist attacks against Americans.
2. Claim: Oliver North stated during the 1987 Iran-Contra hearings that Osama bin Laden was "the most evil person alive" and that "an assassin team [should] be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."
No, Oliver North did not testify about or speak the name Osama bin Laden during the Iran-Contra hearings. He claimed that threats against his life had been made by terrorist Abu Nidal, telling a congressional committee:
"I want you to know that I'd be more than willing . . . to meet Abu Nidal on equal terms anywhere in the world. There's an even deal for him. OK? But I am not willing to have my wife and my four children meet Abu Nidal or his organization on his terms."
3. Claim: New York Senator Hillary Clinton was the "only politician in DC who refused to meet with" a delegation of Gold Star mothers.
Origins: Ah, a week without another anti-Clintonian screed full of Newsmaxian hyperbole would be like a day without smog. The piece quoted above began as a 26 May 2001 "Hillary Snubs Gold Star Mothers" article on NewsMax.com
Conclusion: The American Gold Star Mothers, Inc., deeply regret the misunderstanding about Senator Hillary Clinton. The two mothers who visited Washington did not have an appointment with the Senator and she was not in her office on that day.
We would appreciate it if the e-mails and negative comments about Senator Clinton would cease.
4. Claim: A convicted terrorist released by Israel at the insistence of the United States participated in the September 11 terrorist attacks on America.
Conclusion: Second Circuit US Court of Appeals records show that was a case of mistaken identity. Another man, a naturalized US citizen who used the alias of Mahmoud Atta, was arrested in that attack.
5. Claim: Democrats and the Clinton administration have received more campaign contributions from Enron and have been more accommodating of Enron's lobbying efforts than Republicans and the Bush administration.
6. Claim: Democrats have destroyed Social Security by making it part of the General Fund, by taxing it, and by including immigrants.